Updated Sept 2019

Don't share your chocolate eggs at Easter!

April 13, 2017

 

Chocolate might be a sweet and scrumptious treat for us humans, but for our beloved four-legged friends it’s a whole other story, and can have sickly, dangerous effects.

 

As little as 50g can prove fatal to a small dog, as they are allergic to the natural chemical found in cocoa beans called Theobromine. Dogs and other animals digest Theobromine less effectively than humans, and it can eventually cause dog poisoning if they eat a deadly amount. The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more harmful it will be to your dog, because these have higher amounts of Theobromine in it. However some breeds of dog are more susceptible to poisoning so please don't assume your Great Dane will be fine because it was "only one cream egg!".

 

With Easter fast approaching, we want to make sure all owners are aware of the toxic effects chocolate can have on dogs. Over this chocolatey period lots of egg-citing treats will surely be overflowing in your house and will seem extremely tempting to any canine, so we urge owners to keep their choccy stash out-of-reach from greedy paws! If, like many owners, you want to give your best friend a little treat, then instead of sharing your Easter egg with them, make sure you give them something pet-friendly, suitable and safe.

 

You should contact your vet immediately if your dog has eaten chocolate, as treatment may be needed. It will help your vet to work out if they have eaten a toxic dose and to treat your pet more effectively, if you can tell them:

  • How much chocolate your dog has eaten

  • What type of chocolate it was (try to bring the wrappers along with you)

  • When your dog ate the chocolate

If you suspect that your pooch has eaten chocolate, please contact us without delay. By the time your dog is showing any symptoms, internal damage can already be occurring. As with any poisoning, time is of the essence!

 

Chocolate is not the only food to watch out for this Easter, you should avoid giving your dog hot cross buns as the grapes, found as raisins, can cause kidney failure.

 

If you have any concerns that your pet may have eaten something toxic to them, please call our on-call vet on 01304 206 989 and they will be able to advise you. Our emergency out-of-hours service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. 

 

Wishing all our clients a scrummy (but safe!) Easter! 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Fantastic Food Offer on Hill's Vet Essentials

August 4, 2017

1/1
Please reload

Recent Posts